Monday, January 28, 2013

Collapse of the USSR -- or -- The Exclamation Point (Part 10)

So what do two women of transgender experience share with each other when they are between their various surgical procedures and have already closely examined each other's anatomical changes? Why, the collapse of the Soviet Union, of course!  What else would you expect from OD and me, veterans of Soviet history that we are?  Over two days we have watched the eight part documentary film, Крушение СССР (Collapse of the USSR).  OD has introduced me to a number of Soviet-era films that I had never seen or had seen and forgotten.  Intermixed with Collapse we have watched Афоня (Afonya), Безыменная звезда (Star Without a Name), and Не может быть (Impossible).  I was surprised to find that OD had never seen the classic film Покаяние (Repentence) from Gorbachev's years of perestroika.  We've watched a good Russian-dubbed version of PS -- I Love You, and I have Питер-FM (Peter-FM) waiting in the wings.


Collapse of the USSR
We are both in excellent moods today.  OD's post-operation fever is gone, and we have both had our vaginal packings replaced.  We've been walking up and down the hallway as much as the nurses will allow us.  The binding around my breasts has been removed, and I am able to stand and admire my C cup figure.

I met my craniofacial surgeon Dr. Rushapol Sdawat today.    I showed him photos of my sisters and said that my one requirement was that we still look like sisters when he finishes.  We agreed that "less is more" and that most of what he will do will be around my eyes.  As it is, I have always had one eye that is more closed, appearing more "drooped" than the other.  He will do most of his magic in parallel with the second stage of Dr. Sanguan's GCS on Thursday.

We also met our neighbors, a young Russian couple from Moscow who had come to Phuket for their honeymoon.  On the second day here, the young bride had the misfortune of being hit by a truck.  She has been in the hospital for ten days now with broken ribs and lacerations while her husband goes out and forages for familiar Russian foods and ointments.  We only met our young neighbors today when one of the nurses came and asked if we could be interpreters for the doctor.  Our young friends speak no English, and I can only imagine how terrifying it must have been for them to come here for a honeymoon that ended up being spent in the hospital.  Fortunately, the young bride is now recovered enough to travel, and they will return to Moscow in two days.

I sat talking with our young Russian friend for an hour or so at one point while her husband was taking care of insurance matters.  We talked about this, that, and everything, in particular about how much care her husband had been taking of her.  She asked me to show off my new breasts.  At one point she asked if I had seen any of the ladyboys in Phuket.  She said she had been surprised to see a group of them on her first evening here.  She wasn't so much shocked as she was curious.  She asked, "What must it be like for them?"  Knowing that my young friend was sitting in some degree of pain with broken ribs, I thought this not the best time to begin an educational lecture, let alone enlighten her about yours truly.  I just smiled and commented that it was wonderful to see how accepting the Thai people are of differences.  My young friend nodded in agreement.  Shortly thereafter her husband returned.  We all hugged and said our goodbyes.

It is now 10pm.  OD goes for her second stage GCS tomorrow.  Meanwhile, it is time to choose another Russian language movie to close out the evening.  Although we have both seen it more times than either of us can remember, perhaps Ирония судьбы (The Irony of Fate) would be the right choice.


* * * * * * * * * * * *

Follow these links for more of The Exclamation Point:
Previous entry -- Simple Gifts
Following entry -- A Matter of Depth


No comments:

Post a Comment